Saint Nicholas Eastern Orthodox Church

817 North 7th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19124
Phone: (215) 922-9671
Orthodox Church in America (OCA)

The property on which St. Nicholas Church stands was once owned by Joshua Fisher and his wife who sold it to John Davis in 1840, and then to Joseph Sharpless in 1845. In 1852, Mr. Sharpless sold his property to the Second Dutch Reform Church. This was the first parish to wander into this pioneer wilderness beyond the Vine Street city limits of Philadelphia. In the 1880s, the surrounding land became part of the city. On November 22, 1917, Peter Solovay and his wife Ludmilla, purchased the church building occupied by the Second Dutch Reform Church. Under the direction of Protopresbyter Basil Kurdiumov, a group at St. Andrew’s Russian Orthodox Cathedral bought the property from Mr. Solovay and the Russian Orthodox Independent Congregation and Church of St. Nicholas were chartered on December 20, 1918. Two years later in November, St. Nicholas was officially dedicated. The church was rededicated at its 60th anniversary in 1977 by Metropolitan Theodosius and Bishop Herman. When anyone enters St. Nicholas they are immediately struck with awe and amazement because of its size, beauty, and excellent acoustics.

Services are in English. Currently, the parish is only conducting reader’s services.