Saint John Chrysostom Albanian Orthodox Church

237 North 17th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103
Phone: (215) 563-0979
Website: http://www.stjohnsphila.org
Orthodox Church in America (OCA)

In the early 1900s, thousands of Albanians emigrated from their homeland to the United States. As a result of the immigration, Saint John Chrysostom Albanian Orthodox Church was established in its present building in 1931 through the efforts of Fr. Mark Kondili. Prior to that, the faithful had worshipped in a Serbian Orthodox Church and even a saloon. Originally St. John’s was the “Episcopal Church of the Epiphany.” In 1947, after incorporation, the Orthodox Community bought the building. In 1990, after years of Communism and the brutal suppression of the Orthodox Faith, Albanian emigration to the United States and the Philadelphia area presented St. John’s with new families. Seemingly overnight, the aging congregation doubled with young Albanian families.

Today St. John’s is very much a “family parish” with approximately 200 families. The last several years have shown an upward trend in Sunday School to seventy children this year. The mission serves the present families, the immediate neighborhood, and the “New American-Albanian families.” Although its families live throughout the Greater Philadelphia area, St. John Chrysostom Albanian Orthodox Church is a community committed to the witness of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and the fullness of the Orthodox Faith in the City of Philadelphia.

Every Sunday morning Divine Liturgy is celebrated at 10:00 a.m. followed by coffee hour. Vespers takes place every Saturday at 6:00 p.m., and Vesperal Liturgies are held on the eve of Great Feasts. On Wednesday evenings of Great Lent, a Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts is held at 7:00 p.m. followed by potluck dinner and discussion. Confessions are heard before or after Divine Liturgy, before or after Vespers, or by appointment.

Services are in English with a hint of Albanian.