Saint George Antiochian Orthodox Church (Upper Darby)

8210 West Chester Pike, Upper Darby, PA 19082
Phone: (610) 853-1171
Website: http://www.saintgeorgeupperdarby.org/
Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

St. George Church was founded in 1917 to minister to the Orthodox Christians living in Philadelphia who had emigrated from areas of the Middle East: Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, and Syria. In their original home countries, these Christians lived under the pastoral care of the local clergy and bishops of the Patriarchate of the city Antioch, which is the city “where the disciples were first called Christians” (Acts 11:26).

In North America these newly arrived immigrants were at first ministered to by the Syrian mission under the Russian Orthodox Church, led by St. Raphael Hawaweeny, the first Orthodox bishop consecrated in North America. With the rise of communism in Russia, the Patriarchate of Moscow was unable to sustain much of their work around the world, including the Syrian mission. Thus many of the Arab Orthodox Christians sought help from the Patriarch and Synod of Antioch. Over the years, the community of St. George moved from the South Philadelphia area, where it was founded, into the suburban area of Upper Darby.

Today, the St. George community is made up people from a variety of backgrounds. Some are from traditional Orthodox countries and families. Others are those who, in their earnest and heartfelt search for the loving and merciful God, have found the Church of the New Testament and the Apostles on their own. All together the parishioners of St. George are a rich witness to the depth of the Orthodox way of life and how it speaks to and teaches everyone who seeks the “pearl of great price.”

Orthros is held every Sunday at 9:30 a.m. and Divine Liturgy at 10:30 a.m., followed by Sunday School and Bible Study. Orthros is also held on Tuesdays at 9:00 a.m. and Saturday Vespers at 5:00 p.m.

Services are in English.