Saint Andrew’s Russian Orthodox Cathedral

5th Street and Fairmount Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19131
Phone: (215) 627-3338
Website: http://www.saintandrewscathedral.org/
Russian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate)

St. Andrew’s Russian Orthodox Cathedral was founded in 1897 as the oldest Orthodox Christian Church in Philadelphia. At the end of the 19th and in the beginning of the 20th centuries, immigrants from the Russian and Austro-Hungarian Empires arrived in the United States. The cathedral began as the St. Andrew’s Brotherhood which helped immigrants both economically and spiritually. The Brotherhood increased and gained strength with the arrival in Philadelphia of representatives of the Russian Imperial Fleet in 1898. At that time, a Philadelphian shipbuilding company, Cramp & Sons, received a large contract from the Russian government to build two battleships: a first rank cruiser, “Variag,” and an armor-clad, “Retvizan.” Russian naval officers and sailors, who arrived in Philadelphia, participated actively not only in the inspection of the ships’ construction, but also in the life of the Russian community. They naturally merged with the first parishioners of the Cathedral, made generous private financial contributions, and donated beautiful icons. In 1902, bishop Tikhon, the future Patriarch-Confessor of Moscow and of all Russia, consecrated the Cathedral. Fr. Alexander Hotovitsky, who was martyred during the years of Stalin’s terror, celebrated the first Divine Liturgy in the parish.

Divine Liturgy is celebrated every Sunday at 10:00 a.m. and a vigil every Saturday at 5:00 p.m.

Services are in Slavonic.