Our Lady Joy Of All Who Sorrow Russian Orthodox Church

560 North 20th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19130
Phone: (215) 568-6788
Website: http://www.churchofourlady.org/
Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia (ROCOR)

The founder of the parish, Father Eugene Lyzlov, was born January 14, 1901 into a priestly family in the village of Kozulino near Smolensk. His father, Father Photios, was a descendant of a long line of priests that began in the times of Ivan the Terrible. Fr. Eugene’s mother, Anastasia (Kasatkin), was a niece of St. Nicholas, the first Orthodox archbishop of Japan. On January 27, 1923, Eugene married Natalia Smirnova, was ordained a priest, and they experienced many difficult trials under communism.

In 1949, Fr. Eugene quickly became part of the church life of Russian America. In 1950 he organized a new church named after the icon of the Mother of God, the Joy of All Who Sorrow, in a storefront in the city’s Northern Liberties section. All together he succeeded in getting abut 500 families into the U.S. and about 300 of them settled in Philadelphia. Starting from scratch, the Russian people sacrificed everything they could for the creation of their new church. Fr. Eugene literally built the new church with his own hands, Matushka Natalia sewed vestments, and daughters Zoya and Irene worked at a factory and cleaned offices at night. Thus, with the help of Our Lady, Fr. Eugene and his parishioners founded an Orthodox church in America.

Notably, this parish possesses a wonder-working icon of St. Anna.

Divine Liturgy is celebrated every Sunday at 10 a.m. Vespers is every Saturday at 6 p.m. The third and sixth hours are read shortly before Liturgy. Confessions are heard from 9:30 to 9:50 a.m. on Sundays.

Services are in Slavonic.