Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church (DE)

808 North Broom Street, Wilmington, DE 19806
Phone: (302) 654-4446
Website: http://www.holytrinitywilmington.org/
Greek Orthodox Church (Archdiocese of America)

The Greek community in Wilmington came together like most other ethnic groups around the country. What brought them to Wilmington was the promise of the opportunity that a growing city could offer. In July, 1939, the community purchased the estate of the home of the late U.S. Senator T. Coleman DuPont for $35,000 as the site of their church. The stables to the rear of the estate were converted into their first permanent church edifice. On November 30, 1939, Archbishop Athenagoras blessed the opening of the campaign to raise $150,000 at a fundraiser in the Gold Ballroom of the Hotel DuPont with dignitaries including Delaware Governor Richard McMillan, Wilmington Mayor Walter Bacon, and Greek Minister to the United States Demetrios Sicilianos in attendance.

Holy Trinity’s Greek festival continued to grow through the 1980s and 1990s and the parish become known for its entertainment in the local community. What set the Greek festival apart from other ethnic festivals in Wilmington was its emphasis on Greekness. The late mayor, Dan Frawley, complimented the festival: “These Greeks get it. They only feature Greek music and Greek food.”

Orthros begins at 9:00 a.m. Divine Liturgy begins at 10:00 a.m.