Philadelphia has long been a bastion of reason, a fortress of ideas with far-reaching consequences. From industrial and technological innovation to earth shaking ideas like the U.S. Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, when things happen in Philadelphia, they trickle out to the rest of the country, and eventually the world.
So it was no small matter when in 1897 a group of Orthodox Christian immigrants from Russia formed the St. Andrew’s Brotherhood to aid with the challenges of coming to a new country and establishing a new life. With the help of a handful of Russian naval officers and sailors, and the blessings of St. Tikhon of Moscow (then bishop), the first Orthodox Cathedral was established and consecrated at 5th and Fairmount.
Within a few years, more parishes were established in Philly by Albanian immigrants, Greeks, Carpatho-Russians, Ukrainians, and others. Now, after just a few generations, Orthodoxy is at home in Philly. Our parishes generally celebrate the ethnic heritage of our respective backgrounds, while remaining one in the original Christian faith boldly proclaimed from the first century to the present.
The Orthodox parishes in Philly are an integral part of this City of Brotherly Love – worshiping, praising, hymning, and singing to God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit “on behalf of all and for all.”
With the blessing of His Grace Bishop Tikhon of Philadelphia, OrthodoxPhilly.com exists as a resource to foster increased awareness of the mission, ministry, sacraments, outreaches, and festivals of all the Orthodox parishes in Philly, and to facilitate interaction among the faithful of our parishes. By God’s grace, may he be pleased to prosper the Orthodox mission in this great city of Philadelphia.